gedit ...cannot create backup !!!

Gregory Hosler ghosler at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 09:56:44 UTC 2010

On 04/01/2010 05:53 PM, Gregory Hosler wrote:
> On 04/01/2010 01:08 PM, Jatin K wrote:
>> Dear all
>
>> suddenly I'm getting this error whenever I try to edit a text file and
>> click save button
>
>> " Could not create a backup file while saving /path/to/file.txt"
>> gedit could not backup the old copy of the file before saving the new
>> one.You can ignore this warning and save the file anyway.
>> but if an error occurs while saving , you could lose the old copy of the
>> file. Save anyway ?"
>

>> yesterday, everything was ok.. and this morning I'm getting this
>
>> whats wrong with gedit ?? can anyone help me ?
>
> The most likely causes of this error would be:
>
> 	- permissions
> 	- path to dest directory doesn't exist at some point, or
> 	  permission denied at some point.
> 	- quota
> 	- filesystem has been mounted/remounted ro (due, for example
> 	  to an i/o error)

one more:

	- file system full

> if you can 'ls -l /path/to/file.txt' and the dest file actually exists, see what
> are the permissions of the file. perhaps it cannot be opened for write (to
> re-write it with the new contents).
>
> See if the dest directory exists, and make sure you have write access to it.
>
> 	touch /path/to/file.txt.foo
> 	rm /path/to/file.txt.foo
>
> check your quota
>
> 	quota
>
> check if the partition that the dest file lives in is mounted r/o
>
> 	mount -v

check if there is available room on the file system:

	df -k /path/to/file.txt
	df -i /path/to/file.txt

if EITHER shows zero available, then that's the source of the problem. :-)

- -G

> Hope that helps,
>
> -Greg
>

>> Regards

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler at redhat.com    |