Login errors after network change

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Sat Apr 3 20:14:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
.
> ----
> perhaps there was an issue with the original F12 release that would have
> gotten fixed if you update to current.

System is completely up to date at this point...

> Yes, there is a mechanism to cache credentials - I am not knowledgeable
> about this but I think it's about a five minute cache.

Believe it or not, it appears to be related to using a VNC session
versus logging in directly on the console. I can't say for sure yet,
but the VNC logins had been failing and the VMWare console (which is
effectively a local console) worked fine.

> If all else fails, you can get a virtual console, su to root (su -) and
> then run the tool without any need to get credentials. But I wouldn't
> know what the command is to launch packagekit (or whatever it is
> called).

That's the thing.. I opened local terminal session and su'd to root,
but on running the app it complained that I was a *privileged* user.

I'll have some time to look at it tonight and hope to resolve soon..