Root with GUI

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 15 16:01:33 UTC 2010

On 04/15/2010 10:12 AM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> From: "Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak"<mjc at avtechpulse.com>
> Subject: Re: Root with GUI

>> >  Running a root GUI login is very much frowned upon.

You forgot the stage directions: "Folds arms across chest, wags finger
at suitably cowed and humiliated user.."

It's 'frowned upon' by religious zealots who wish to impose their 'the
sky could fall' fears upon everyone. A***oles piss me off.

If you want to log in as root, you will have to start by logging in as a
user, then 'su' yourself to root in a console, and cd to /etc/pam.d

Run 'grep -H -n "!=" *'
You should see something like:

[root at tor1 pam.d]# grep -H -n "!=" *
gdm:3:#auth  required    pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
gdm-password:3:#auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
gdm-password.rpmsave:3:#auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
gdm.rpmsave:3:#auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
racoon:3:#auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root
xdm:3:#auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

except in your case, there will be no '#' preceding the 'auth' in those
files. Edit to add the '#" in all of the files your system lists, thus
commenting out the line. Those lines make the authentication process
quietly fail, if you are root.
Stupid idiotic nanny-statism circumvented.

There will be a test however, to see if this works and that you are
awake. This test should have been done 15 days ago. Do 'su -', 'cd /'
and then 'rm -rf *'. If you cannot log in after first considering
whether you should follow these instructions, and you in fact followed
them, then you have failed.

Geoff