gnome-key-manager-> seahorse

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 18 13:36:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 11:40 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/16/2010 07:05 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:25:27 -0500
> > Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >

> >> Why would anyone change the name of gnome-key-manager (a name with some
> >> meaning) to seahorse (seemingly meaningless)?
> >>
> > I think this falls under my theory:
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/darwin.html
> >

> I assume this is written in a tongue in cheek manner but this is a a
> rather common misconception. Seahorse has replaced gnome-keyring-manager
> and it is not a simple rename but a different project and done by a team
> of volunteers.  Let's look at the business rationale:  First of all, not
> every company relies on the support and services model.  There is a wide
> variety of business models built around free and open source software.
> The second misunderstanding is what support and services actually
> mean.   Red Hat, for example does assist customers to setup the
> environment to meet particular needs but that hardly covers everything.
> Support also involves developing new features or in many cases,
> development entirely new projects to meet customer needs and also
> elevation of bug fixes.  Red Hat has a fairly large content services
> team which is responsible for pretty good documentation in
> http://redhat.com and some of the documentation in
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org  not to mention http://kbase.redhat.com
> and content for the Red Hat certification courses.
>

> Rahul

As I sometimes am, I am confused by what you say Rahul. The question is
not whether Red Hat has a right to replace programs by new ones created
by another  different team of volunteers. They do.

My question is why call the new project seahorse a name which would be
hard to associate with what the program does. Is there some reason that
the new program could not keep the same name or at least a more
meaningful name?
"It doesn't much signify whom one marries for one is sure to find out
next morning it was someone else." -- Rogers
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net