Best Laptop Experience with Fedora

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 17:20:36 UTC 2010

On 04/26/2010 10:02 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On 26 April 2010 07:51, Dale Dellutri<daledellutri at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Edmon Begoli<ebegoli at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking of buying a Laptop to run Fedora 12/13/ ... on it.
>>>
>>> I am member of the Fedora project and I want to have a laptop only for
>>> development and testing of the code, packages and new releases on it.
>>>
>>> So far I had mixed luck with wireless cards/drivers and video cards,
>>> so I want to
>>> ask community of Fedora users:
>>>
>>> what Laptop in below $600 or $700 would they recommend as the machine
>>> with the best Fedora experience.
>>>
>>> I am also looking for the easy hard drive swap in and out solution,
>>> so that I can swap complete distros by swapping hard drives
>>> (I have dual boots and USB but I find hard drive swapping more
>>> convenient for what I am doing. I can explain my motivation in more
>>> details if needed)
>>>
>> Your only stated requirements are price, the ability to do development,
>> and the ability to swap disks.  Given those requirements, I'd get a
>> refurbished Dell laptop from Dell at:
>>    http://www.dfsdirectsales.com
>> You can get a laptop with no operating system.  Disk removal/replacement is
>> fairly easy on the Dell D-series laptops, just a screw or two.  You'll
>> probably
>> want to buy a second carrier.  Or, I guess you could boot from USB dirves.
>>
>> I got my current Dell D630 that way, on which I've installed F12.  The
>> wireless,
>> as well as everything lese, works well.
>>
>> This is just one suggestion.  Just about any laptop would work.  Just make
>> sure that the NetworkManager can handle the wireless card and that disk
>> removal is easy.
>>

> I have used a Thinkpad SL series with Fedora 12 with no problems.
> NetworkManager plays wonderfully nice too. :) I think it cost about
> CAD 800 but probably there was some kind of a savings deal.
>

>> --
>> Dale Dellutri

There is one thing I would like to add to this thread.
I have 5 laptops here on my desk all fried because of High end Nvidia cards.
Airflow is one thing not really good with laptops and these new Nvidia
cards get very hot.
I have seen amd cpu cooked not because the cpu is overheated but because
the video card in the laptops are heating up the cpu beyond it's
tolerances and thus el cookedoe goes the cpu.

What ever laptop you get make sure airflow comes from the back not bottom.
If it is bottom then invest into a Laptop fan plate to place the laptop on.

At least the unit will have a chance with airflow.

I would not buy one for these reasons
They are like bic lighters, disposable

These are just my thoughts.....