Processor Scalability and Linux

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sun Aug 8 20:15:42 UTC 2010

Joshua C. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve been planning on buying a new machine but I’m not that sure what to take.
>
> We’ve been seeing test and reviews on the internet between amd and
> linux. I can say that when it comes to pure (single) core apps then
> intel might have the lead. When it comes to scalability then amd is on
> the move.

Are you going to really use a lot of CPU power? (such as video processing)
Probably not.

If you are just planning to have a fast general-use computer, than
do not worry too much about the CPU, as AMD or Intel and 4 or 6 cores
will not make a real difference to you.
Consider buying a SSD disk for your operating system and your "live" data
plus an additional big traditional disk for your "storage" data.
I assure you that a SSD disk will have much more impact on the speed
of the machine.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it