java and firefox crashes on FC13

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 03:30:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

>> Are you sure it's java that's crashing and not for example flash?
>>
>> Firefox crashes repeatedly for me on F12 with flash.

To follow up with my own post, I also now see many of these in the dmesg output:

npviewer.bin[16972]: segfault at f735c004 ip 0000000001402f7c sp
00000000ff852680 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[dc9000+b2e000]

So, it is flash, at the least, that is causing problems. Is this the
expected behaviour for flash these days? Does gnash provide a
sufficient open source replacement, or does it not work in all
circumstances? I believe it is still encumbered by the lack of mp3
audio support?

There are many conflicting documents that describe different ways of
installing flash on x86_64. Can someone point me to the preferred docs
for 64bit? I believe it is still experimental on 64bit?

Thanks for the tips on using the Sun java. I'll experiment with that too.

Thanks,
Alex