What driives me crazy about bugzilla(att: Rahul)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:47:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:53:27 -0600, Aaron wrote:

> >   http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/nautilus

> Some of the points you are making are correct and some aren't.

They are the truth.

> Your
> suggestion that I should address my problems with nautilus to the
> nautilus group is wrong.

Nah, it isn't wrong. It's a matter of fact. You can hope for a
Fedora bugzilla entry to be "enough". But there are no promises or
guarantees that every ticket will be dealt with "quickly enough" or
that every bug will be fixed "soon enough" to make you happy. It may
be that a bugzilla entry is forwarded to developers quickly, but the
actual fix takes so much time that you would still be unhappy.

> That is what bugzilla is supposed to do. I
> can't take the time to learn the location of the developers of all the
> 1,000 -2,000 programs in a Linux distribution. Bugzilla is supposed to
> channel my query to the right people.

Define "supposed". You are not in a paying-client relationship with the
Fedora Project. If something that is offered by the Fedora Project doesn't
meet your requirements, it may be necessary that you get involved beyond
reporting a problem. It may be that Nautilus (or any other package) is in
need of increased contributions from the [Fedora] community. Either
directly at the Fedora Project's Packaging sub-project or at the
Nautilus development project.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that tickets filed in bugzilla ought to lead
to something productive. It's just not feasible with some particular
software packages (and their quality) and an insufficient number of
volunteers to take over some of the work.

> You are correct that the developers are taxed to the limit to handle all
> the complaints but if no action is taken on each complaint the whole
> bugzilla system is questionable.

Yes, sure, it is questionable for some packages (aka "components" in
bugzilla) for several reasons. Just think about all the tickets that are
lost at distribution end-of-life because nobody has responded to NEEDINFO
queries.