Firefox using google proxy WTF?

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sat Feb 13 18:29:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am using an of the shelf firefox rpm. Today the strangest thing
happened to me: I got an google branded 404 when searching wikipedia.
The site is definitely up and running and my network settings must be
fine, since Konqueror and wget get the site (see attached screenshot).

Obviously I only noted it, because googles proxy must have been down or
something.

So since when does google proxy my http traffic? And who allowed this
behavior in a fedora rpm?