recommendations for version controlling /etc on a new f12 box?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Feb 18 18:20:28 UTC 2010

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought it
> would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's where all the
> fun happens.  anyone doing that?  recommendations?  a quick google
> found this:
>
> http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper
>
> i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior to the
> rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.

I'm a great believer in RCS for this:
- all on the machine, no need to set up servers
- easy to roll back if needed
- easy to embed version, date, etc, in comments
   to be sure you have what you think you do.
- right capability where multiple admins are not changing
   things all the time. Or at least the same things.
- if you use the comments capability, leaves a good audit trail.

Tools intended to solve multi-user development are more complex than they need
to be. CVS, git, yady, yada, yada.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>