pulseaudio memory usage possible leak

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:03:09 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:04:43PM -0500, Mail Lists wrote:
> Does this look appropriate on F12 ?
>
> PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>   9 -11  163m 3836 2908 S  2.3  0.1  18:11.20 pulseaudio
>

> Sound is muted - best I can tell nothing (aside from gnome) is using the
> audio system.
>
> Is it appropriate for pulseaudio to have 163 Mb or is this a memory leak
> ?

The "VIRT" column is not a reliable number for how much memory that
particular app is actually taking up in RAM.  Much of the memory
referred to there may be shared with other applications that rely on
the same underlying libraries, such as the standard C libraries.  If I
recall correctly, these are "virtual mappings" of memory.

For instance, I just started up Twinkle, a KDE program, on my GNOME
desktop, and the VIRT for that program is around 1371 MB.  (Yes,
that's a lot, but again, it's not all actually loaded in RAM.)