Install Fedora 13 from Hard Drive

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:05:20 UTC 2010

On 12/07/10 03:39 AM, Tim wrote:

> I have to say that I'd prefer to install from a hard drive, than USB
> device, too.  I don't have a big USB flash drive, and really don't want
> to go out and spend more money on something I don't really need when I

F13's boot.iso is around 208 MB.
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso
All I did was download that file and copied to a 256 MB stick I had
lying around. Check my recent thread with subject "cannot boot from USB
stick using boot.iso" for the procedure.

Besides, with this USB method you install only the updated packages.
With the DVD iso, you download the iso first, install it and then update
the system. The latter step can easily take around an hour or so
depending on your ISP speed and required updates.

> do have spare hard drives laying around.  And I do have computers
> without DVD drives, so installing from a hard drive was an easy solution
> for my situation.
>
> I can well imagine that I'm not the only person in that situation.

No, you are not. I have installed from hard drive in the past (I think
it was F9). Here is what I did as I recall (don't have the specifics
though). The idea is to download the DVD iso on a partition that was not
going to be overwritten. I have a running Debian OS on the computer and
I mounted that iso and extracted the kernel related files and copied
them to my Debian /boot and created grub entries so that I could boot
from F9 kernel. I rebooted using F9 kernel and asked the installer to
choose an image on a hard drive. There is a bit of a hassle to create
the relevant boot process but otherwise it does quite well. You should
be able to search google for the exact method, or even alternatives
(e.g. in case you have no OS installed on the system at all).

ever having been read.