SSH / permissions problem

Patrick Kobly patrick at kobly.com
Tue Jul 13 19:23:05 UTC 2010

On 7/13/2010 12:40 PM, Rick Sewill wrote:

>> If I ssh to root on the new server everything is fine, but if I ssh to my user
>> I get errors and X forwarding doesn't work.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest things for me to look at / try.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> [gary at dcomp5 ~]$ ssh -Y -C lcomp3 -l root
>> root at lcomp3's password:
>> Last login: Tue Jul 13 16:04:20 2010 from gary.ringways.co.uk
>> [root at lcomp3 ~]# kcalc
>> [root at lcomp3 ~]# logout
>> [gary at dcomp5 ~]$ ssh -Y -C lcomp3
>> gary at lcomp3's password:
>> Last login: Tue Jul 13 15:55:16 2010 from gary.ringways.co.uk
>> /usr/bin/xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/gary/.Xauthority

Late to the party, but:

$ ls -ld /home/gary
$ ls -l /home/gary/.Xauthority

post the results

$ rm /home/gary/.Xauthority

try again.

Chances are a stale .Xauthority file exists that's owned by the UID of
the gary account on the old server.  Might want to recursively chown the
contents of the home dir if that's the case:

# chown -R gary /home/gary

PK