NFS

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 14 14:57:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 09:24:51AM -0400, Ray Pittigher wrote:
> When running a NFS server on Fedora how can I see what files are in use
> by others over the NFS mount?

In "classic" NFS this isn't really possible.  NFS is stateless, so on
the server you can only see momentary reads and writes from files, you
cannot see if a file is, say, opened by a client but the client is not
reading and writing to it at that moment.

Modern NFS is a little bit different.  I think NFSv4 maintains more
state on the server, and also you've got things like file locking, so
maybe it is possible to get more information out in those cases.
Someone else who knows about NFSv4 will have to answer that more
definitively though.

  http://nfs.sourceforge.net/#faq_a6

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/