how to start Xscreensaver automatically

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jun 20 23:08:26 UTC 2010

I'm running FC13 with a gnome desktop and would like to have the new
screensaver start automatically when I log on.

What happens now is that I have to start the configuration gui manually
using System --> Preferences --> Screensaver. I then get the message:
"The XScreenSaver daemon doesn't seem to be running on display ":0.0".
Launch it now?" Then replying OK starts it and the show is fine.

Using gnome-session-properties I have shut off the old gnome screensaver
program so that it won't start up at login and turned on Xscreensaver.
But I still have to start it manually.