autofs and nfs4 no longer connect - SOLVED

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 04:22:59 UTC 2010

On 06/20/2010 06:38 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage was caught red-handed
while writing::
> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 09:15 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> JD,
>>> Nope. That was the second thing I checked. No changes.
>>> --Doc
>>>

>> I assume there were no errors logged anywhere....  But, have you tried
>> mounting directly instead of via autofs to help rule out that as a factor?
>>
> Ed,
>
> Direct mounting was the problem in January. See the thread "Also having
> NFSv4 problems" on this list Jan 03-04, 2010. autofs was the fix, and
> manual mounts still don't work.
>
> Reviewing those posts, however, I discovered that the nfs service has
> been disabled (w/chkconfig) on all F12 and F13 clients. How that
> happened is a head-scratcher because nfs must be running on all local
> nodes to gain yum access to fast repos on the server.
>
> --Doc

Why would a client need to run the nfs daemon in order to
connect to a server? Are the clients also exporting some
directories to the server? If not, then there is no reason
at all for the clients to be running the nfs daemon.
At any rate, I thought you might wish to read
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/
there are some very basic "to do" points
for the server and client.
Perhaps one or more of those points is missing in your clients.

Cheers,

JD