problem booting windows on a flash stick via qemu

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 21 15:31:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 07:19 -0700, JD wrote:
> ages.)
> >
> I thought the windows HW wizard automatically detects new hardware
> and proceeds to install the drivers for it.

Under the "right" circumstances.

>  It's like taking your hard drive
> and putting it into a different PC and booting it.

I have had success doing this with Linux, but Windows always blue
screens whenever I try this. I have never figured out whether this is
because of all the anti-piracy crap or if it's just a bug. But I
wouldn't count on the new hardware wizard magically fixing everything on
a Windows system if you try to boot the same image with different
hardware (virtual or physical).

--Greg