cannot boot after F12 to F14 upgrade

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Tue Nov 2 05:02:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Juan R. de Silva
<juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any suggestions, please?  I have NVIDIA graphic card on board.

Sounds like you might have an xorg.conf configuration file which uses
the nvidia driver? If so, that driver probably does not exist in your
system after you've upgraded to F14.

Try booting up and log onto terminal 2 (Alt + F2). Move your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file out of the way, if you have one. With no
xorg.conf, this should get Fedora to start X automatically with the
vesa driver (as nouveau might be blacklisted).

Or, you can try installing the latest nvidia driver (you need
RPMFusion repositories and I've no idea if this works on F14 yet).

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-moved-$(date +%Y-%m-%d)
yum install kernel-devel dkms akmod-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64 time
/usr/sbin/akmods --force
dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
reboot

Hopefully, that will build and install the nvidia driver. See if that works :-)

-c