F12 -> F14 (via preupgrade), not so smooth

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Nov 3 19:38:22 UTC 2010

On 11/03/2010 03:11 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> I think the main problem is that you skipped F13 and jumped to F14
> directly. Usually the most well-tested upgrades are to $release+

I surely hope that if F12->F14 is *not* a supported upgrade path, then
preupgrade should *NOT* allow it to be done.  There was a problem with a
previous release (ISTR it was either F9 -> F11 or F10 -> F12) not being
able to be skipped, and part of the process disallowed it.
Unfortunately, it was after the packages had been downloaded, but it was
right after the first re-boot to install them, and the particular error
message was buried in one of the alternate windows, but, it clearly
stated that the upgrade I was trying was not supported (I did indeed
need to go through the intermediate step).  [The problem was the visible
error message only stated that the update process could not find the
the release notes.  I saw nothing in either the F13 or F14 release notes
requiring a serial update from F12.

> Don't forget to go through all the .rpmnew and .rpmsave files and
> replace/merge them as necessary

Good point, I forgot about those.  I will have to go looking for them....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net