Problems exporting directories from Fedora 8

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Nov 5 01:35:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:13:01 -0400
"Doll, Margaret Ann" <margaret_doll at brown.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, Stan.  I will try your suggestions.

... However, Fedora 8 uses rpcbind-0.1.4-11.fc8, and I have confirmed
that denial requests are being entered into /var/log/messages when
rpcbind receives a request from an unauthorized host, so it looks like
this bug has been fixed. ...

I found the above snippet at
http://optics.csufresno.edu/~kriehn/fedora/fedora_files/f9/howto/nfs.html
which seems to be a very comprehensive description of how to set up nfs
on Fedora 7, 8, and 9.

When I read the surrounding blurb, it said that if the caller wasn't
allowed in /etc/hosts.allow, that rpcbind would issue an error message
in /var/log/messages.

Are you seeing any error messages in /var/log/messages on the F8 system
when you try to mount from the redhat server?  I'm wondering if it
isn't authorized for rpcbind.

The above howto also mentions port issues that might be relevant.