Another kernel panic after preupgrade

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Nov 11 18:12:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:16:53 +0100
oekopez at gmx.de wrote:

> Dear list!
>
> I tried to preupgrade a Fedora 13 installation to Fedora 14 following
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade. The F13 installation was my
> first Linux experience and therefore eventually a bit shakey. A
> closed source ATI catalyst driver was installed. After reboot the
> upgrade process failed upgrading one package: Reboot and:
>
> kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
> block(0,0)

You are unable to mount the root file system.  That means nothing can
start because it can't read anything.

> Unlike yazan in
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1413157#post1413157
> the old F13 kernels from the GRUB menu are not working (black screen,
> or fancy colors on screen after boot process). Choosing the upgrade
> in the GRUB boot menu leads to a blue screen with the Error message:
> "An error occured finding the installation image on your hard drive.
> Please check your images and try again."
>
> I didn't erased any images on the hard drive.
>
> Can anybody can give me a hint how I can repair the upgrade? I'd like
> to avoid a fresh installation.

It is like grub is pointing to the wrong place.  Boot a rescue disk,
and then go into the system boot and grub menu and make sure that your
root is pointing to the right partition.

Or, at bootup time, press a space or shift to stop the boot process
when you get to the selection menu.  Put an e on the lines you need to
edit and change them so they reflect your actual situation.   Once you
have booted, change them permanently in the script.  In particular,
make sure the line root (hd?,?) actually points to your root partition,
replacing the question marks with the actual disk and partition number,
starting from 0.  So the first disk, second partition would be
root (hd0, 1)