Making space on an EeePC

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Nov 11 19:16:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:58:03AM -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/11/2010 10:35 AM, Beartooth wrote:
> > 	According to baobab, the biggest thing still left in the whole
> > filesystem is /usr/share/locale. (I cut out apps utterly ruthlessly while
> > installing.)
> >
> > 	Can I simply delete all of /usr/share/locale, or all but one of
> > the folders in it?? Or shrink it some other way??
>
> No.  And, even if you could, it's not the issue.  Linux doesn't mount
> the file systems one folder at a time, it mounts the entire partition as
> a lump then accesses it as needed.  I suspect that you simply don't have
> a big enough, fast enough computer for Fedora, especially with Gnome or
> KDE adding their requirements to the base system.  Have you investigated
> something more lightweight, such as XFCE?  Or, if that's still slow,
> take a look at Puppy.  If I can get decent response out of a P II/255
> with 96MB of RAM, I'm sure it will be fine for you.

FWIW, I am currently running F13 on a eeepc 901 which, admittedly, has
A LOT more "disk" space,... a 4 gig and a 16 gig SSD. Normal Gnome
install, though made from the LIVE cd, and tweaked a little due to the
smallness of the root ssd.

I've installed F14 on an external USB hard drive on that machine, but
then of course disk space isn't an issue at all.

It's not at all clear to me how one would go about installing f13 or f14
(or anything else similarly-sized) on a 4 gig device. You may have better
luck if you can stick an 8 gig (or bigger) SDHC card in the SDHC card
reader, install /boot on the internal 4 gigs and then let / and /home
spill over onto it.

OTOH, I wish you well, and if you figure out how to get a functioning
system (especially if it includes  X) onto a 4 gig drive, while still
having enuff space to be useful for something, be sure to let the rest
of us know!

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.