Progressively Advancing Video Regressions

Philip Vetter pv+fedora at math.duke.edu
Wed Nov 17 20:35:44 UTC 2010

Any ideas why I might be experiencing a progressive degradation of Red
Hat/Fedora's out-of-the-box support for multiple monitors, and what I can
do to get things working again?

(0) I used to be able to run 4 monitors off of my desktop machine with
suspend and resume. 1 double output card and 2 single output cards.
This was with hand-crafted xorg.conf that (if I recall correctly) was
no longer effective after xorg and video subsystem rearchitecting.

With various Fedora upgrades over time:

(-1) Resume stopped working. Comes up in a frozen state.  (many months
ago)

(-2) Suspend stopped working. Computer shuts down but only partly. CPU
fans keep spinning, etc.  (many months ago)

(-3) Stopped being able to configure multiple video cards.
(but could configure both outputs of a single AGP card.)
In particular, 'X -configure' would lock the system.
   (many months ago)

(-4) Fedora 13, kernel 2.6.34.6-54 and subsequent: boot failure or broken
video whenever there is more than one video card present. This would occur
with 2 ATI cards, and also with 2 NVidia cards. (Weeks ago)

(-5) Fedora 14 does not properly recognize the only card installed.
(This card has two outputs)
gnome-display-properties reports only one Monitor:Unknown and will only
mirror the outputs.  (Last week)

Thank you for your help + insight!

-Phil