Burning mixed ownership of files to disk producing a problem?

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:49:02 UTC 2010

William Stock wrote:
> In a small test I had no problem burning some of "my" files and some
> "root/root" files.  However, using the CD for a restore would be a
> gigantic pain in the backside.  You'd be sitting in front of your
> monitor forever.
>
> Two things happen when you try to burn mixed owner files to a CD.  The
> first is _you_ end up owning them (instead of root); the second is
> *everything* becomes read-only.  If you tar everything you want and burn
> the tar file(s) you can keep ownership and permissions.
>
> You might want to consider putting things on a [reusable] flash drive.
> Just a thought.
>

> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 10:45 -0500, William Case wrote:
>
>> I started out to do something I though should be fairly easy but I have
>> been at it all evening.
>>
>> I am trying to burn some data files to DVD as a backup.  Here is the
>> problem as far as I can tell.  Brasero from root won't burn the files
>> directly but wants to turn them into an .iso.
>>
>> Details:
>> I have a backup partition on which I keep my personal backups as well as
>> files and directories owned by root such as /etc.  I was getting ready
>> to upgrade to Fedora 14.  I decided that there was only some of my
>> backup files I wanted to further back up to a DVD disk. The total size
>> fits on one disk. Brasero will back up personal files but won't back up
>> root's files.  If I su or sudo brasero and try it from there, brasero
>> wants to create /root/brasero.iso.  Same happens with the CD/DVD
>> Creator.
>>
>> The manual is silent on why root and user files won't mix or on how to
>> burn root files.  Plus several annoying things happen with unwanted
>> programs popping up when using brasero and inserting discs.
>>
>> I have received the suggestion that I tar the files first.  I will do if
>> there are no other suggestions.  If this post seems like a repeat, it
>> is, but I corrected the Subject: in the hope of getting more reads.
>> --
>> Regards Bill
>> Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32
>> Evo.2.32, Emacs 23.2.1

There is an option in Brazero that pops up when you go to burn and that
is to burn files direct without creating the iso file.
Have you tried to play with that option?

Also I always uncheck eject disk as it seems to pop out the disk before
the burn is 100% complete.

I have been noticing some very weird things when burning data files and
that is one in every 3 disks fails, not the burn process but when I put
the disk back in the system will not see the disk I just burned.
Bad disks?