Making space on an EeePC

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 19 12:34:25 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 01:45 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> All my research recommended NOT using a journaling filesystem like ext3 on SSDs.  It wears them out faster.  Although, I did read one article where the writer actually crunched numbers, and concluded that SSDs made within the past couple of years have a mean "write" life equal to a typical hard drive.  However, I decided to play it safe, and went with ext2.

I have too many personal failures with ext2 to go with it any more.  Now
granted most of them were with DSL on a wonderful Toshiba Libretto 110CT
(64Mb memory max) with a 4Gb drive, but it got tiresome dealing with a
broken drive and needing to reinstall yet again.

A big thing is the noatime option.  Turn this puppy OFF.