Making space on an EeePC

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 17:55:45 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 11/19/10, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Have only heard of BTRFS recently and know little
> about it, but that will change over the next few days.
> >
> > I opted for ext2 because of the years it had been
> around, and thus, was very stable and as bug free as one can
> make it.  And I was very familiar with administering it.
>
> I've been using on my Netbook for quite some time and so
> far no
> issues. My kids even helped "test" it. I'm using a striped
> LVM across
> the internal 4GB SSD and a 4GB SD card and my littlest
> "pushed" the SD
> card and popped it out. I plugged it back in and rebooted
> and it came
> back up clean as far as I can tell.

I was fortunate with the EeePC 900 I bought used off eBay.  It was advertised with a 4GB SSD only, and I was agonizing over how best to install a usable system for someone with no computer savvy.  However, in the course of testing it, I discovered it had a 16GB SSD, too.  The seller must not have known.  It had the original Xandros on it, and the 16GB doesn't show.  I found it by accident when booting TinyCore Linux from a USB drive.  In any case, I ended up having more than enough room. I decided to put / on the 4GB drive and /home and swap on the 16.

Turned into a nice little machine, but it took me about 4 or 5 weeks, off and on, to set it up.