Automate tweaking??

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Sun Nov 21 22:07:02 UTC 2010

On 21 November 2010 20:40, Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:

>        If this really doesn't exist, I want to make a feature request;
> but I have somehow missed discovering it.
>
>        Any time I do a fresh install, I have a big job afterward on each
> machine. A third of it is going through PackageKit, adding and removing
> apps; another third is getting all the launchers I want added onto the
> panels I want; and the last third is going through the long tedious
> litany to show dot files, single click, start this but not that on boot,
> etc ad taedium vitae.
>
>        Surely there must be some way to tell Fedora to take note of what
> I have, where I put it, and how I use it, then put it all into a file I
> can copy to a USB stick or some such medium -- so that once the install
> completes, I can give the stick and say "Here; go."

What you are describing is usually accomplished with Kickstart:
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

The challenge is distilling all your tweaks into scripting commands
for the %post section ;o)

To be honest though, it sounds very much like what you want could be
accomplished by Kickstart for your package selection and then simply
copying over a templated home directory created after you had made the
changes you want to an existing copy. Everything you describe is
configured in .config/, .gnome2/ or .gconf/ and simply backing those
up and untarring in your new installation might do what you require.

--
Sam