End of life for FC12?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 25 22:47:08 UTC 2010

On 11/25/10 11:50 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> If xen goes in mainline, and it is certainly on track to do so, then
> Fedora 15
> (or 16 at the latest) may offer it again. It allows operation on processors
> which lack HVM, which is not only old gear (my Celeron systems and laptops), but
> alternate vendors, appliances, and misguided systems killing HVM in BIOS to meet
> MSFT license requirements.

They are not misguided, just misinformed.  Microsoft has been doing this
for years (OS/2 anyone?)  Microsoft wants to maintain their 'monopoly'
over the desktop by any means they can.  Sorry, but the EU has partially
stepped up to the plate.  They have to finish the job that the US
Department of Justice is unwilling to do.

> Depending on what you run in a VM, there may be performance issues in xen vs
> HVM, harder to say with Linux, since it might run paravirtualized anyway.

Good to see that there are options.  I use a Mac, people use and abuse
Linux.  May we always see an option.

James McKenzie