Virtualbox, F14 and External USB disk

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 06:09:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 18:04 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > To the OP: my memory is hazy on this, but I think you need to a)
> > shutdown the guest (not just pause it), b) go to the "add disk"
> dialogue
> > under VBox, possibly under the Machine menu, c) add the disk as a
> new
> > attachment to IDE or SATA and note its device name, d) fire up the
> guest
> > system and try to mount the device. Something along those lines in
> any
> > case.
>
> As far as I can tell the OP is wanting to use a USB disk like a USB
> disk, not raw disk access.

If you mean he was asking about USB rather than IDE or SATA, then yes,
though I wouldn't characterize it as a "USB disk" vs. "raw disk access".
You can access USB disks in raw mode too.

> If you do that, then yes, it is available
> on both systems, but that would be necessary and potentially
> dangerous.

As I think I said or implied, but no matter.

Anyway, there's an additional point which Michael Miles brought up but
the OP seems not to have noticed, i.e. you can only access USB devices
with the non-free version of VBox. That's the main limitation of the
open source version from the Fedora repos and the reason I can't use it.

poc