dict not working

jack wallen jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Sat Oct 23 15:32:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 08:41 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 19:22 -0700, Silent-Hunter wrote:
> > Dict will not do anything. I type "dict haul" or "dict love" and it
> > just sits there. It used to display a definition, but now it won't. I
> > wonder if it was something I did.

I don't know if this is the problem, but if you issue the command:

dict -v word (where word is the word you want to look up)

you eventually see that dict can not connect to any of the servers:

   server localhost
   server dict.org
   server dict0.us.dict.org
   server alt0.dict.org

i just ping'd dict.org and it is up. anyone know what could be causing
this?

> I don't know if this is relevant but the dictionary app on the panel not
> longer works.
> --
> It's time to boot, do your boot ROMs know where your disk controllers
> are?
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

jack wallen
Sheldon: Everyone at the university knows I eat breakfast at 8:00 and
move my bowels at 8:20. Leonard: Yes, how did we live before Twitter?
Linux uptime: 11:30:38 up 1 day, 17:49, 2 users, load average: 1.08,
0.51, 0.38