Problem with USB KVM Switch.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Sep 19 10:24:13 UTC 2010

On 19 Sep 2010 at 11:10, Joachim Backes wrote:

Date sent:	Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:10:44 +0200
From:	Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
Organization:	University of Kaiserslautern
To:	Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject:	Re: Problem with USB KVM Switch.

> On 09/19/2010 11:03 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > In switching from a Trendnet KV-400 swith to a USB 2.0 KVM Switch I am
> > having a problem with the monitor coming up in 1024x768 mode instead of
> > the 1280x1024. If I plug the monitor directly to this Fedora 12 machine, it
> > comes up as 1280x1024?
> >
> > The monitor is a Sceptre Tech Inc 19"  which is recognized by the fedora
> > when it is connected directly to the machine with 1280x1024 with 60hz.
> >
> > If I then hook the monitor back up thru the switch if works at the correct
> > resolution, but expect that a restart will put it back to the 1024x768, and from
> > the specs it should be running at 75hz.
> >
> > Haven't found a fedora drive for this monitor, and system-config-display
> > doesn't show it.
> >
> > Is this a problem with the KVM switch or with the Monitor using default
> > settings. Don't understand why it sees the monitor as unknown even when it
> > is the selected PC on the swich at boot up.
> >

> Hi Michael,
>
> some years ago I had similar problems (not with the model you
> mentioned). I could solve them by using a USB KVM switch with an *own
> power supply*.

Thanks for the quick reply. The trendnet TK-400 has a external power port
but this USB KVM MT-401UK doesn't a power plug, but the user manual
says to add a DC 5V, 500mA-1A to the power jack, which it doesn't have?

I thought maybe having it connected to other computers via the USB would
cover this, but it did not. Still came up in 1024x768 resolution.  It has 3 USB
ports on the end to connect to keyboard and mouse perhaps the 3rd one can
be used for power? The other end has the monitor port, and then monitor
and USB ports for each of the computers?

Strangely, the Fedora 10 machine comes up fine in 1280x1024 mode? So,
why it works with 10 and not 12?