Brasero has lost its mind!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Apr 3 21:08:31 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:47:57 -0700,
  JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Were any of the software byJoerg Schilling released with the GPL license?
> If not, then he has sole claim, no?

I believe the original license was an MIT variant, but I am not sure.

> Also, many corporations reserve the right to withdraw their
> product from the GPL license and make it proprietary again.

When this happens the old code is still GPL (or whatever the original
open source license was, as the same applies) and development can continue
parallel to the original developer.

> As much as we opensource fans would like it to be otherwise,
> I think the owner of the source still at least retains intellectual
> property rights, if not also distribution rights (if NOT released under
> GPL).

The original developers would still have copyright and could restrict
distribution by others of either their new code or the old code in a
way that was not allowed by the original open source license.

> Also, I was not pleased when Joerg required one to get a special license
> token to burn a full DVD iso. But then, he produced it and had the right
> to do with it as he pleased.

Sure.

> As far as using the "obscure way of referring to devices by scsi ids",
> Did he not borrow that from Solaris? I thought his first release was for
> Solaris.

I believe so, but it was still obscure.