Can't resume from hibernate with FC14

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 03:25:34 UTC 2011

Hi,

I just installed FC14 on an older Dell Inspiron 8500 with an NVidea
GeForce4 graphics card.  To get the graphics working properly, I had to
uninstall nvidia-nouveau driver and replace it with the rpmfusion nvidia
drivers as per http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752.

Unfortunately, neither the suspend or hibernate seem to work.  They both
manage to shutdown the PC, but when the time comes to resume, the system
does not boot back up properly; it freezes at a black screen.  I do see
a couple of error messages, and the caps lock/num lock buttons freeze.
The only option is to cold boot the machine at this point.

I can't see anything particularly special in /var/log/messages, and am
not sure if there are any other files that may have additional information.

The error messages I get when going into hibernate mode are as follows:
pm_op(): pci_pm_thaw +0x0/0x59 returns -16
PM: Device 0000:00:00.0 failed to thaw: error -16

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?  I have no idea what
those error messages mean.  I am extremely frustrated, and it is
becoming increasingly difficult to work with a laptop that I cannot
hibernate as I take it back and forth to the office every day.

Thanks!

Eric