Upgrade Fedora 6 to 14 (remotely)

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Apr 20 18:14:52 UTC 2011

On 04/15/2011 02:48 PM, Dante Conti wrote:
>> Is it possible to remotely upgrade a server running Fedora 6 to Fedora
>> 14 (or 15)? If yes, should I use PreUpgrade?
>>
>> Thank you for any help you can provide.
>>
>> --Dante
One very messy way to do it is to build a reference system locally. Then
manually configure the important files in /etc/sysconfig that match the
settings on the remote.
the next few steps are very dangerous because if your screw up your
system either may not boot, or may not communicate.
If you have space on the remote system, copy the reference system over
to the remote, probably as an iso, and subsequently mount the iso.
Once you have the reference system over to the remote, then you can
replace the important directories such as /boot, /etc, /bin, /sbin,
/usr/bin, usr/sbin, /lib, /usr/lib, (and don't forget the 64-bit stuff
such as /usr/lib64). If you build your reference system minimally the
resultant .iso file should be manageable.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix