Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:02:02 UTC 2011

On 18 April 2011 14:01, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:

> Nothing of this is really essential, but these are nice Debian features
> that Fedora apparenttly doesn't have. Now I would like to know about
> stuff comparable to this that Fedora has, but Debian hasn't (I'm sure
> there are many).

Debian has an advantage on number of packages available. Debian claims
on its website to have 30 K packages. And this is on Fedora:

[xx at d3000 ~]$ yum repolist
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto
Adding en_IE to language list
repo id                   repo name                                     status
adobe-linux-i386          Adobe Systems Incorporated                          18
fedora                    Fedora 14 - i386                              17,880+3
rpmfusion-free            RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Free                    364
rpmfusion-free-updates    RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Free - Updates          504
rpmfusion-nonfree         RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Nonfree                 176
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 - Nonfree - Updates       267
updates                   Fedora 14 - i386 - Updates                       6,346
repolist: 25,555

The total of 25 K is misleading as some packages are counted twice, so
the Fedora total is probably around 20-22 K. Also there are other
repos that I have not enabled, such as Atrpms.