Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:15:45 UTC 2011

On 04/25/2011 07:42 PM, Piscium wrote:

> Yours is a good point, and also the way I see things. So yes,
> everything I use on a regular basis is available in the repos I have
> currently enabled, plus a package or two in Atrpms. And there are also
> two applications that I build from source, but they are very specific
> and I think no distro has them yet (they are very simple to build
> anyway, so not worthwhile to package).

What would those two be? If they are simple to build, no reason not to
package them.

> But then there is software I want to try out, and here the picture is
> different. So some weeks ago when I was looking at window managers I
> did log to Debian as they have a greater choice, but the one I
> eventually chose is both in Fedora and Debian.

Yep.  Precisely the point.  It's possible if you are picking up niche
packages, one distro might have a advantage (often temporary because
once you have it packaged, the metadata can be transferred fairly easily
between RPM and Deb or whatever)  but what gets used by users,  I would
be surprised if it wasn't already available in majority of cases and
package count is immaterial.

Rahul