Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Rares Aioanei fedora.listen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 13:10:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:07:11 -0700
suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
> > Hence, to allow me to make a good decision, I would be very happy to
> > hear about your favorite Fedora feature that I would totally miss if I
> > went with Debian.
> >

> I don't exactly knwo what Debian unstable offers these days, but here is
> my take on this.

Typing this from a Debian testing machine, my primary workstation.

> 1. Python 3 - can be installed parallel to Python 2.6
also possible on Debian
>    + Support for Python specific commands within gdb
> 2. I have used Ubuntu for couple of years at the university, but I
>    prefer rpm/yum over dpkg/apt/aptitude
> 3. Newer kernels
>    + 2.6.38 for F15
2.6.38 for testing, 2.6.32 for squeeze(stable), possible to mix
repos (stable+testing+unstable, for example)
>    + 2.6.35 for F14
>    + 2.6.34 for F13
> 4. Compared to Ubuntu, I feel the quality control on packages are higher
>    in Fedora. I have very little experience with Debian, but from my few
>    months of trying it out, although better than Ubuntu I found it
>    lacking compared to Fedora.
I might of course be biased, but to me Debian's quality control
is like no other.
> 5. Many others might debate this, but I feel more secure with SELinux
>    set to enforce. I feel Fedora integrates SELinux much better than any
>    other distro.
This is highly debatable, don't want to start a flamewar.
> 6. Again debatable, but I like LVMs. Not sure how good the support is in
>    Debian.
As good as in Anaconda.
> 7. Possibility to test bleeding edge technologies like the btrfs
>    filesystem
Idem.
> 8. Although the ppa system is nice, but I find the community
>    repositories available for Fedora have a higher packaging standard
>    and are in general more reliable.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Suvayu