Installing Fedora on a Fedora machine

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 00:35:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 02:01:24 +0200
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> As a matter of interest,
> are there "official" instructions anywhere
> for installing a new version of Fedora on a spare partition
> of a machine already running Fedora,
> after downloading the DVD ISO to the machine?

Don't know about "official". I use the hard disk install
technique which is probably documented around the web
in various places (it got simpler with the fedora 15
dvd, since you no longer need to extract an install.img
file and put it where anaconda can find it). Here's
the /boot/grub/grub.conf entry I just used to
install f15 beta in my machine:

title Install Fedora 15 Beta x86_64
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/f15x/vmlinuz repo=hd:LABEL=ZOOTY:/salvage/iso-images/Fedora-15-Beta-x86_64-DVD/
	initrd /boot/f15x/initrd.img

The /boot/f15x directory is where I extracted the vmlinuz
and initrd.img files from the isolinux directory on
the iso image, and /zooty/salvage/iso-images/Fedora-15-Beta-x86_64-DVD/
is the directory where I saved the iso image (where
the /zooty mountpoint mounts a partition with the
label ZOOTY).