Installing Fedora on a Fedora machine

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Apr 27 10:19:40 UTC 2011

Tom Horsley wrote:

>> As a matter of interest,
>> are there "official" instructions anywhere
>> for installing a new version of Fedora on a spare partition
>> of a machine already running Fedora,
>> after downloading the DVD ISO to the machine?
>>

> Don't know about "official". I use the hard disk install
> technique which is probably documented around the web
> in various places (it got simpler with the fedora 15
> dvd, since you no longer need to extract an install.img
> file and put it where anaconda can find it). Here's
> the /boot/grub/grub.conf entry I just used to
> install f15 beta in my machine:
>
> title Install Fedora 15 Beta x86_64
> root (hd0,4)
> kernel /boot/f15x/vmlinuz
> repo=hd:LABEL=ZOOTY:/salvage/iso-images/Fedora-15-Beta-x86_64-DVD/ initrd
> /boot/f15x/initrd.img
>
> The /boot/f15x directory is where I extracted the vmlinuz
> and initrd.img files from the isolinux directory on
> the iso image, and /zooty/salvage/iso-images/Fedora-15-Beta-x86_64-DVD/
> is the directory where I saved the iso image (where
> the /zooty mountpoint mounts a partition with the
> label ZOOTY).

Thanks, that seems very clear.
I didn't know one could add a "repo=" option to the kernel line.

It's surprising to me that the Fedora Installation Guide
doesn't give this as a method of installation,
since a significant number of people who want to upgrade
must already be running Fedora or some other Unix.

I've always thought the Installation Guide
is slightly lacking in common sense.