Growing frustration with Gnome Shell

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 11 19:08:35 UTC 2011

> are borked with a standard-desktop because some developers
> are thinking it is cool rely on 3D-crap

The sad thing is almost none of the 3D dependancies are remotely
necessary as far as I can see - just about every 'clever' effect it has
Enlightenments Evas seems to do faster while abstracting the canvas
underneath to work with just about everything from a dumb frame buffer to
a fairly full OpenGL.

What does it actually use of the 3D/render from a user point of view ?

- It composites (alpha blends stuff) , whoopee can be done easily in
  software on a dumb device. Xfce with compositing is fast on a low end
  Atom with no video acceleration.

- It scales stuff. Again this can be done wickedly fast in software
  especially as its a straight linear shrink not a texture at an angle

- It seems to use GL for some drawing work, which is the sort of stuff
  Evas and the like can do fast in software in most cases too.

It basically does less 3D style funky stuff than Doom did, and doom could
do it on a 486 in software.

Hopefully 3.2 will get its act together, but 3.0 they basically put the
hyphen in the wrong place

	gnomes-hell

8)

Alan