Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Aug 17 02:33:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 11:50 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure this out, but, what puzzles me is what
> caused things to change. It was working perfectly. It could easily be
> some Windows update as well as some Samba update, I suppose. I've
> tried to google this issue, but most hits I'm getting are old and talk
> about an smbclient update being the culprit... If this were an update
> caused problem, one would presume that others would be having the
> issue...
----
your configuration is marginal at best - defective according to the man
page so that it might have worked in the past and ceased to work at some
point thereafter is probably not worth the energy to investigate.

As for googling for suggestions on Samba - I think it's pointless. It
will chase you down a thousand alleys. The official documentation is the
best that open source has to offer. If you want to spend your time
productively doing research...

http://samba.org/samba/docs/

See 'Official Samba Howto' and 'By Example' though I'm not sure that
they have any examples for 'security = share' as that is thoroughly
discouraged usage these days and the only reason they don't remove it is
for backward compatibility (yeah, there are some Windows 98 systems
still out there).

I do sort of suspect that the issue you first reported doesn't seem to
be a Samba problem at all. There's absolutely no reason to have to
provide a user name and password to browse a Windows network. Not only
is it not required, it's not a function of a Windows workgroup at all -
there isn't any Windows or Samba service designed to authenticate
network browsing.

Craig

believed to be clean.