howto lock DNS number in /etc/resolv.conf

james tate binarynut at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 15:44:51 UTC 2011

On 08/21/2011 02:03 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 20:36 -0400, james tate wrote:
>> How can I lock down DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , every time I
>> reboot the DNS is changed ?
>>
>>    Fedora is getting bad DNS numbers from a 2Wire router.
> And I'll say what the other two haven't said:  Why can't you reconfigure
> the router properly?

I have been through that damn router two times and I can not find out
why or how it comes up with;

domain= 2wire.net
search = 2wire.net
nameserver 172.16.0.1   (which is the gateway of the router)

2wire.net is the website of modem manufacturer , not a DNS serve.
This is causing conflicts with a number of website. It can not get the
DNS numbers.
And lastly it is a old modem/router that will only allow WEP configuration
I'am going to buy a Actiontec GT784WN modem/router to use with at&T