Personal VPN on Fedora

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 02:51:02 UTC 2011

2011/8/23 Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com>

> 2011/8/22 admin lewis <adminlewis at gmail.com>
>
>> 2011/8/20 Manuel Escudero <Jmlevick at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi there:
>> >
>> > I was wondering if is there something like Hotspot Shield or TunnelBear
>> for
>> > Linux
>> > or if not, How can I easily mount a VPN connection in Fedora?
>> > Have been reading a lot, but it's quite difficult :S
>> > OpenVPN is too difficult to Setup and Tor is not what I'm looking for.
>> > Any advice?
>>
>> Try to download/install some gui for openvpn
>>
>> openvpn-admin.noarch : OpenVPN-Admin is a multiplatform GUI for OpenVPN.
>> stonevpn.noarch : Easy OpenVPN certificate and configuration management
>>
>> to install (from root):
>> # yum install openvpn-admin
>>
>> then configure openvpn from gui.. anyway openvpn is the easiest way to
>> connect a vpn..
>> dont forget u can connect to a vpn by the NetworkManager too
>> cheers
>> lewis
>>

>> --
>> my blog - http://predellino.blogspot.com/
>> --
>>

> VPN Mounting on fedora is a little painful... Using any method.
> At the end I found what I needed but it just seem to work in Ubuntu
> and not in Fedora. However, As I'm going to recieve some "Acer Aspire
> Revo" PC's (one for personal use) to transform them into different kinds
> of Linux Servers, I decided that Mounting an OpenVPN installation "for once
> in a lifetime"
> in order to use it whenever it is needed is worth the time it requires,
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Manuel Escudero
> Linux User #509052
> Twitter: @Jmlevick <http://twitter.com/Jmlevick>
> Blogger: Blog Xenode <http://xenodesystems.blogspot.com/>
> PGP/GnuPG: E2F5 12FA E1C3 FA58 CF15  8481 B77B 00CA C1E1 0FA7
> Xenode Systems - xenodesystems.com <http://www.xenodesystems.com/> - "Conéctate
> a Tu Mundo"

UPDATE on this issue:

With "At the end I found what I needed" I was refering to"Hostizzle"
wich is a service that provide you with free OpenVPN certificates and
configuration files, installing OpenVPN package from repos & the lastest
Kvpnc on the machine (built from
source this one) I was able to connect to an external hosted VPN just like
with Hotspot
Shield or TunnelBear using the package that "Hostizzle" provide to you...

Hostizzle Provide you with 100GB of monthly VPN bandwidth, an USA IP adress,
connection encryption with blowfish SSL/TLS of 1024 Bits and other
interesting stuff.

The thing worked at the end in Fedora too, just had to use the lastest
version of
OpenVPN Client "Kvpnc" and disable SELinux; (Set it to permissive mode,
after using the VPN I switch to enforcing always). The Point is, If it works
on Fedora
and Ubuntu, I bet this solution can work in any distro.

Hope this helps someone out there.

P.S. More info, the tutorial and even a video of my "investigation" are in
here:

http://xenodesystems.blogspot.com/2011/08/al-fin-hotspot-shieldtunnelbear-en.html

(in spanish) go there if you want to know more ;)

C'ya!