F-15 Scanner Tool -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Aug 31 14:09:32 UTC 2011

On 31/08/11 09:03, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 16:39 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I found a resolution control in the xsane menu. It's marked
>> with a ideogram of different sized dots. I should have
>> recognized that as resolution I guess. The default is 80, 300
>> produces readable copy.
> If you're scanning for 1:1 printing purposes, then there's some logic in
> scanning at the same resolution as the normal printing resolution of
> your printer.  That should avoid any image scaling issues, gives you a
> resolution that should print well, and avoids pointlessly scanning at a
> resolution higher than you can print.  But if you want to edit the file,
> then a higher resolution might be warranted.
>
> If you have a printer with a massively high resolution capability, do
> you normally print at that resolution?  Usually that's reserved for
> *high* quality, rather than *normal* printing.  300 - 600 dpi has looked
> good on laser printers, for text printing, for many years.  Higher
> resolution is mostly pointless, unless there's pictures on the page.

        300 dpi should be fine for my needs, I believe the Brother
        HL5140 Laser can do better though. The problem was mainly the
        resolution setting in xsane which initially defaulted to 80 dpi.
        The ideograph in the menu looked to me like the symbols for
        setting line width, brush size or something in Gimp and I did
        not recognize it as resolution. Once changed to 300 dpi I got
        usable copies.

        I find the following for the HL5140 printer:    Max Resolution (
        B&W ) 2400 dpi x 600 dpi
        I assume 600 dpi is along the horizontal axis? It is presently
        configured to print 300 dpi.

        The HP5370C Scanner: Resolution 1200 dots per inch (dpi) optical
        resolution

        1200 x 2400 dpi hardware resolution

        unlimited interpolated resolution (HP Scanjet 5370C scanner only)

        I guess that says I should be able to set xsane to scan 600 dpi
        and produce copies, however there were other problems. Each time
        I changed resolution in xsane I had to unplug the USB scanner
        and restart xsane or things would "lock up!" Something bad was
        happening because after producing the needed copies Thunderbird
        Mail locked up too, something that is not normally a problem. I
        eventually bit the bullet and rebooted the computer.

        I left one doctor's office with copies of my blood work and
        wanted a second copy to give to the hematologist. Usually the
        computer/scanner works nicely as a copy machine but I guess
        that's the first time I used this computer for that purpose
        since installing F-15 64 bit. I was panicking when things didn't
        work as expected! Sorry.

        Thanks,

        Bob.