Re: Bug 648732 – Intel wireless broken on 11n for many users

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 14:38:03 UTC 2011

On 2 December 2011 13:48, Lawrence Graves <lgraves95 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 12/02/2011 05:04 AM, Ian Malone wrote:

>>> If Lawrence has network access in text only mode I would suggest as root:
>>> yum reinstall xorg-x11-drv-nvidia nvidia-settings akmod-nvidia
>>> kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs
>>> nvidia-xconfig

>> If that doesn't help or there's no net access then (again as root),
>> first line is moving the file to a backup with today's date:

>> This (in order), moves your current Xorg configuration to a backup
>> file, uses nvidia-config-display to create a new one, tells the system
>> not to use the nouveau driver (you'll need to undo this if you ever
>> want to use nouveau) and creates a new initrd with nouveau excluded.
>> Let us know how you get on.

> I tried all that you instructed to no avail. When I tried reinstalling the
> nvidia drivers, I received the message that there were no mirrors.

Sounds like you don't have a net connection up. If you had it
configured previously you /might/ be able to get it up by doing:
systemctl start NetworkManager.service

> When I
> tried the mv, it came back and said nvidia-config-display is not a
> directory.

Sorry, those should all be separate lines, I've put a $ to indicate
each one below (also it should have been nvidia-xconfig, not
nvidia-display-config, again fixed this below):

$ mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup-20111202
$ nvidia-xconfig
$ echo blacklist nouveau >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
$ dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

--
imalone