Partition Management

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 2 18:24:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 18:55 -0700, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> My wife's machine is a full up FC14 x86_64 and I now have the joy of
> trying to put windows XP on due to constraints at her work.
>
> I figured no problem, Install windows from scratch and constrain the
> partition size and reinstall Fedora.  Windows setup craps out with an
> error message saying the drive is corrupted.  The best I can figure is
> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>
> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike D.
If it is not a laptop, you can put in a second disk with Windows on it.
Then you can either dual boot or use a VM to have access to both.

If a laptop, you could move the whole existing linux to an outboard
drive, and dual boot by simply rebooting with the boot parameters set to
boot external if its available.

Otherwise you will need to repartition the disk.  If I were doing that,
I would make a complete backup first just for insurance.

Windows 7 is a nuisance because a lot of my older development apps would
not run.  I ended up going all the way to ultimate to get most things
back I needed.

Regards,
Les H