The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 3 05:02:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 19:40 -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> On 12/02/2011 07:10 PM, Craig White wrote:
> >> So this is what I hear you saying.....
> >>
> >> Linus is a kernel developer and not a UI developer.  Thus, his opinion
> >> does not matter.
> >> Since Linus is not a UI developer, he is only an end user.  Thus, the
> >> opinions of end users don't matter.
> > ----
> > I think his opinion matters as much as anyone else (and I gather that in
> > the eyes of Gnome developers, not so much).
> >
> > You know my feelings as I too am a KDE 4 survivor ;-) To make an omelet,
> > you have to break some eggs. I think there is a core of long time Linux
> > users who were upset because their familiar interface changed. Such is
> > progress.
> >

> Change for the sake of change has always been idiotic.
>
> In the case of Gnome 2, how many person-hours have been invested for
> people to customize their work environments?  And poof!  All gone!
>
> But it is very hipcrime to be counter-cultural these days -- why yes,
> let's poo-poo Linus' opinion -- after all, he's a "long time Linux
> user", whose opinion is ranked by idiots to be slightly lower than those
> charged with the crime of the current Gnome UI regression.
>
> Those who still employ critical thinking might be interested in the
> logical fallacy we are being subjected to:
>
>   http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html#novitatem
>
> ...but we already knew that, didn't we?
----
Considering...

- that you can have your beloved Gnome 2 for at least another 5 years on
RHEL 6 (or various rebuilds thereof),

- that Fedora embraces the latest technology advances and yes, that
includes Gnome,

- that approximately 3 years is considered a generation in terms of
computer technology which includes everything from hardware to end user
interfaces,

- that regardless of you feelings of Gnome 3, there are people who
actually like it,

- that a significant portion of the Gnome code base had aged and needed
to be re-written was not merely 'Change for the sake of change',

- you want to pin some relevance to whatever Linux Torvalds thinks about
Gnome is actually significant to this or any discussion,

your whimpers are laughable. I don't recall seeing you post on this list
before tonight. Are you a longtime Fedora user? Been using a different
name?

Craig

believed to be clean.