kernel upgrade bug?

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.net
Sat Dec 3 20:14:47 UTC 2011

On 3 Dec 2011, at 15:56, Scott Doty wrote:

> On 12/03/2011 04:30 AM, Scott van Looy wrote:
>>
>> Isn't there supposed to be an initramfs for 3.1.2-1?
>
> My system has:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 15945815 Dec  1 21:24
> initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img
>
> So yes, you should have one.
>
>> Is this a bug?
>
> Depends.  If you used preupgrade to move from f15 to f16, it's probably
> a bug.  If you used yum to do so, I'm not sure that that is an
> "approved" method of upgrading...one does so at their own risk.

I did. It's been doing this for a little while now, I just wanted to double check the new kernel is the same.
What's new is that it didn't even tell me there was an error this timeā€¦I thought it might have just worked :)

>> If there's supposed to be one, if so, how can I generate one? Once I have, do I need to reinstall grub?
>>

> You could use dracut to build the initrd, but you're probably better off
> re-installing the kernel package.  Something like:
>
> $ su -
> # yumdownloader kernel
> # rpm -ivh --force kernel.package.file.name.rpm

I tried yum reinstall kernel and got the same error.

> You don't need to re-install grub, but you should double-check grub.conf
> before rebooting to the new kernel.

I currently have grub and grub2 - how can I tell which my system is using? Or do I just amend grub2 then run grub2-install /dev/sda?

> Also, I do believe f16 includes a move to grub2 -- at least, the tools
> are installed after I ran preupgrade & upgraded.  But my system was left
> still using grub.  That's not such a bad thing, since the grub2.conf
> syntax has completely changed, making us all grub noobs again.
>
> There's also a wiki page somewhere that talks about post-upgrade
> cleanups one should perform to make sure old packages are thoroughly
> removed...ask in #fedora about that, or maybe someone will post the link.

Yeah, I followed all that.
I was given some advice a while back to run dracut in sh -x - that works for me (but installing the rpm in sh -x doesn't work for me)
But it doesn't work in bash.

/sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 in bash just prints out the help associated with dracut, as if I'd not given it any arguments.
sh -x /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 works

I have no real idea what the issue could be, if you or anyone else has any suggestions it'd be appreciated!

Scott