Major upgrade failure

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Dec 6 18:47:51 UTC 2011

Last night, I used preupgrade to prepare my desktop for upgrade from F14
to F16 and started the process at bed time.  This morning, it was hung
while upgrading SELinux targeted policy.  I used the reset button and
tried again.  This time, it seemed to work, but when it restarted, it
failed to go into graphics mode properly and hung again.  I tried to
start it in the last good F14 kernel, as I need to do on my laptop, but
that failed.

I managed to get into F16 recovery mode and tried to run grub2-install,
but it failed, saying that it couldn't stat /dev/root.  I ran telinit 3,
which worked and logged in as root.  Alas, I still can't run
grub2-install, but on reboot it says that I'm using Grub 1.99, so I
guess that's OK.

Normally, I could at least ssh in from my laptop, but it's not accepting
connections so I can't even do that.  I now have two crippled computers,
one that can't boot into the newest kernel and one that can't properly
boot except into CLI mode.  People, I really, really need some help!