Major upgrade failure

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:15:33 UTC 2011

Joe Zeff <joe <at> zeff.us> writes:

> On 12/06/2011 12:39 PM, JB wrote:
> > I think you should download and burn F16 live-cd (XFCE I guess is safest for
> > you) and start with a clean install.
>
> Why?  Wouldn't it be even better to create a kickstart file so that all
> of my installed programs come back and I can use my current /home
> partition, then use the DVD to get everything at once?  (Naturally, I'd
> leave Gnome out of the kickstart file so that I only get what's needed.)
>   Granted, you may be right about the fresh start, but I can't see
> bothering with a liveCD when I'd need to spend days, maybe, reinstalling
> what I actually need.

You see, the problem is that sometimes (often ?) your upgrade, in your case
I believe via preupgrade, takes effect up to a release state only, which may
be buggy (in this case I am sure it is, as I installed F16 fresh from live cd
and systemd sys init showed errors, and as you should know it starts a lot
of services: lvm, raid, networking, etc). This may be made worse by any F14/F16
packages conflicts/dups/problems, selinux issues, driver issues, etc.
So, afterwards the very first step you have to make is to get access to your
F16 system in order to perform 'yum update' to get your system (among others
systemd) fixed with post-release updates (which are sometimes 0-day updates
that did not make into a release cd or dvd or preupgrade).
It is obvious that if you can not do that, you are stuck (catch-22).

That's why I suggested a clean start.

JB